Protecting your company from cyber attacks and threats is a constant battle that requires changes and adaptations. About 30,000 websites are hacked every day. Without the right protection, any organization could be the next victim. Every company needs the right tools to prepare their team and assets for the growing number of threats. That’s why many organizations turn to MDR protection, specifically Microsoft MDR protection.
Read on to learn about Microsoft MDR, how it works, and why organizations need it to properly protect their networks.
What Is Microsoft MDR?
Before we look at Microsoft MDR, what is MDR? Managed Detection and Response (MDR) is a cybersecurity service where a team of experts monitors a network and endpoints 24/7 and provides responses to potential threats. MDR services are generally a combination of monitoring, orchestration, and response. Many organizations successfully use MDR to protect data and keep information secure.
Microsoft MDR is a specific MDR service offered through Microsoft. This service combines Microsoft Defender with managed endpoint protection for an elite 24/7 security solution. If your organization uses Microsoft, Microsoft MDR is the ideal way to protect your network because it’s a service that specifically works with Microsoft programs for elite security. But Microsoft MDR isn’t limited to only Microsoft Windows users and is compatible with MacOS and Linux as well.
How Does Microsoft MDR Work?
So Microsoft MDR is a high-end security solution, but how does it work? Here’s how Microsoft MDR works to protect a network:
- Microsoft MDR uses Defender for Endpoint to detect threats. Defender for Endpoint works to detect any threat, including malware, ransomware variants, zero-days, non-malware, and file-less attacks.
- Threats are investigated and neutralized 24/7. The Ontinue SOC investigates threats and neutralizes the threats detected.
- Endpoints are thoroughly contained. Microsoft MDR uses endpoint security to provide a more thorough response. Depending on the threat, MDR will respond in a unique way including quarantine of an endpoint; deleting or quarantining of files; whitelisting and blacklisting of files, applications, and endpoints; and more.
- Discover the narrative of an attack. Ontinue and Endpoint Defender can determine the entire narrative of an attack, so your organization has a better idea of what’s happening and to help prepare for future attacks and mitigate effects early on.
Essentially, Microsoft MDR provides 24/7 monitoring, detection, alerts, and response to protect your organization. The Microsoft E5 Security stack is the universal control plane that enables consistent visibility and control over the users, apps, and data.
Today’s distributed, heterogenous, dynamic environments can be difficult to monitor without a powerful security solution that’s designed specifically to provide the support Microsoft needs. It’s the only MDR solution that’s designed for Microsoft. While it’s compatible with other operating systems, Microsoft users can take advantage of services created with their needs in mind.
Why Do Organizations Need Microsoft MDR?
Organizations need to protect their data and information from any threat. Ultimately, that is the main reason why organizations need Microsoft MDR: to protect data. Any organization with that goal can benefit from using Microsoft MDR. There are additional reasons why organizations may need Microsoft MDR:
- They primarily use Microsoft. Microsoft MDR is designed to really anticipate and mitigate risks and struggles of Microsoft users. So if an organization uses Microsoft, they would benefit from using Microsoft MDR to protect their network and endpoints because it works to meet their needs.
- They are shifting to a hybrid work environment. Work environments are constantly shifting these days. Moving from an in-office only environment to a hybrid environment introduces new threats to the environment and creates weaknesses where there weren’t before. Microsoft MDR is a service specifically designed for organizations going through this shift, and it helps them overcome that challenge.
- They are migrating to Azure. Azure is a hybrid cloud that has revolutionized cloud storage. Companies moving to use Azure benefit from using Microsoft MDR to protect their networks because Microsoft MDR is designed to work seamlessly with Azure. Together, these powerful tools help you store your information and keep it safe.
- They are using O365. Office 365 is a powerful tool for organizations, and Microsoft MDR is compatible with it and will help protect any information. These tools work together, so if an organization uses O365, they will benefit from using Microsoft MDR for their security.
- They want to maximize their Microsoft investment. Using Microsoft is a beneficial investment for an organization. But if that investment isn’t protected, a company isn’t getting as much out of their investment. Protecting your Microsoft information is what maximizes the Microsoft investment.
Overall, Microsoft MDR provides a strong security solution for Microsoft users and beyond.
How Ontinue ION Can Support Your Microsoft Network
Ontinue ION is the MXDR service of choice for Microsoft security customers that want to accelerate MTTR, proactively reduce risk, and reduce costs. Together, the ION Platform and designated cyber defense experts build a deep understanding of your organization’s risk posture that focuses prevention, detection and response efforts to reduce risk and mitigate threats.
AI-driven automation delivers fast, accurate investigation and response. Our one-of-a-kind Microsoft Teams interface provides real-time access to our 24/7 ION Cyber Defense Center to resolve every incident.
As the 2022 Microsoft Security MSSP of the year, Ontinue knows how to optimize your Microsoft investments, simplifying your technology stack and improving ROI.
Protecting your network and your Microsoft system is our priority at Ontinue. Get started today with one of our cybersecurity consultants to protect your Microsoft investment.